Saturday, July 19, 2008

Obama-Obama-Bo-Bama

As a young under-30 (barely) Generation X-er, I have never really followed politics very closely. I have voted in a few elections, without really having educated myself on the hot topics and issues. I always used the excuses that I didn't like any of the candidates, that I didn't understand politics, blah, blah, blah...but this election has had me purring with interest. I loved watching Hilary (the first woman presidential candidate) debate Obama (the first black presidential candidate) and even tuned in to watch more than 5 minutes. I have researched some of the issues and feel like maybe, just maybe, I may be able to cast an educated vote. The thing that I think is just so cool about this election is that only in America could we have a black presidential candidate with a name like Barack Hussein Obama running against the wife of a former president who was practically impeached for screwing his intern and lying about it. Why can't all the elections be this amusing? I would certainly pay more attention and have more of a vested interest in the outcome.

Now what I need to know is how does this whole silly election thing work. Is anyone else completely befuddled about the 'electoral vote' thingy and how a candidate can actually get the most votes (but not in the places that it counts) and still lose? And how about this 'hanging Chad' situation that happened in Florida? How is it possible that a whole election may have been a sham because of a few little pieces of paper hanging off the ballot? I am going to get to the bottom of this and share my information so that all us kids with a cavalier attitude about government can start taking charge.

Hey, we are the future right? Scary...
 
ss_blog_claim=56a84c4e8749734eb151bee73d0a1821