Friday, October 3, 2008

She is Woman; Hear Her Roar Doggonnitt!

I don't pretend to know a lot about politics.

But I do know this much.

Sarah Palin made me laugh--and cringe--quite a bit last night.

From calling her fellow vice president nominee "Senator O'Biden" to her usage of the phrases "Joe Six-Pack" (which would probably be referring to my husband) and "doggonnitt," it was certainly the most interesting debate I have ever seen.

Her mispronunciation of nuclear as "nucular" was a tad bit reminiscent of the often slippery tongued gentleman who currently resides in the White House, which was a bit disconcerting. And her overwhelming use of the word "maverick" to describe McCain just about had me banging my head against the wall. I was properly proud of Senator Biden, however, for not correcting her on her mistakes and making her look like a fool. (But I think she was doing that well enough on her own.)

I don't want to spark a big political debate here. I know there are a lot of people who think that Palin is the best thing in stockings to come along in politics and I know she did hold her own better last night than most thought she would. She even had some good answers to questions (even though she looked like she had rehearsed the lines to death, almost as if she was in a bd high school play). But I just can't get past the fact that she seems out of her element, and I just don't think I am ready for a "hockey mom" who can't even pronounce words correctly in the White House. I want to feel confident in the people I elect to the highest positions in the country, and I just don't feel confident with her as vice president.

Which brings me to my next point. Why did McCain choose her? I can't imagine there wasn't a better, more experienced and more suitable cadidate that he could have chosen; so that only leads me to believe that he did it simply because she is a woman and he knew that she would spark a lot of controversy, interest and hype; which, in turn, would draw attention to him and get him votes for being so "forward thinking" that he would choose a woman. I would no sooner vote for someone just BECAUSE they were a woman than I would NOT vote for someone just because they were.

This whole election has made me ill because of the fact that we have heard more about race, gender and the personal life of Sarah Palin than we have about the actual issues. There has been such an abundance of slander that I can't sift my way through the bullshit to get to the real facts, and I am left grasping for whatever truth I can concoct. I don't want to make my decision purely on whether or not one could throw poo at the other one better or whether I ethically agree with the fact that Sarah Palin has a teenage pregnant daughter. I don't give a flying monkey butt about what Sarah Palin's daughter does. What I care about is whether she is qualified to help run the country.

And if I hear one more person talk about her legs or how "hot" she is, I am going to shove my ballot down my throat and choke on it.

OK, so what did we learn from this post?

#1. I am pretty sure Joe won the debate.

#2. Palin did better than we thought she would, but she still sounded alarmingly idiotic.

#3. Yes, Sarah Palin is hot, but that does not have anything to do with the election, so let's DROP IT already!

#4. Joe Six-Pack and Suzie Soccer Mom are the heart and soul of this country (which I do believe, by the way, since my husband and I both fit those descriptions).

#5. Apparently, McCain is a maverick, in every aspect of his being.

#6. Palin's highlights are just delightful.

Let's end on a high note here, with a funny little animation that just really sums up, in my opinion, the results of last night's debate.


obama,  Image Hosting
 
ss_blog_claim=56a84c4e8749734eb151bee73d0a1821