Friday, June 12, 2009

I'm Rubber and You're Glue and Everything You Say Bounces Off Me and Sticks To You

I think I won the award for the longest blog post title ever. Well, maybe not, cause The Bloggess has some LONG ASS titles sometimes. Oh well.

Anyway, the reason for this post is that I have been party to some negativity lately and I want to talk about it. I am a SUPER sensitive person and don't deal well with people being meanie buckets, but I realize that putting yourself out there on the internet is opening yourself up to criticism, people who don't agree with you, and just downright nasty people. I also don't really enjoy drama (as unbelievable as that may seem) and will usually choose to ignore someone that is being negative and mean rather than confront them and create a scene. But this last incident struck a chord with me that made it impossible for me to ignore it. This person attacked my character as a wife and mother. And that just ain't cool.

This person left this comment on He Blogs, She Blogs:

"Petra. Sounds like you're the bad cop. All you blog about is losing your patience with the children. And then you only have bad things to say about Captain Dumbass. What kind of lover and parent are you?"


To which I read, almost threw up, couldn't see straight with fury and then responded with this:

"Obviously you don't read my blog and read about how much I love and adore my children and my husband, and you apparently have no sense of humor either, because my comment to Captain Dumbass was completely in jest.

I am being honest with my readers about losing my patience with the kids, because ALL PARENTS DO, no matter how much they love them.

Ever heard if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all? I am an AWESOME lover and parent, and you have NO right to judge me. What kind of person are you, going around leaving your first comment on someone's blog and making it nasty and accusatory?"

Now, I need to know, did I do the right thing here? Should I have turned the other cheek and been the bigger person and ignored it? I didn't feel it was right to delete it, because he has just as much right to leave his opinion in a public forum as anyone else, but why is it necessary to be such an ass?

Am I wrong here people? I honestly want to know. Is it appropriate to leave nasty comments on other people's blogs? I don't think so, but maybe I have a skewed vision of blogging and what it should be. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, nor like me. But in my opinion, if you don't agree or like me, let me know in a respectful way or move along to a blog that has what you are looking for.

Maybe I am totally off base...
 
ss_blog_claim=56a84c4e8749734eb151bee73d0a1821