Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Sound of Silence

As I sit here this morning, with a fantastic cup of coffee at my right and my laptop at my fingertips, I am enjoying something that I very rarely have the pleasure of enjoying.

Silence.

We take it for granted, don't we? Just being able to sit in peace and quiet, allowing thoughts to come in and out of our heads in a complete evolution, without the interruption of a whine, a cry or a call for help. There were days many years ago when I would enjoy silence for hours at a time, and would usually try to fill the silence with music, television or conversation. Now I yearn for it, and bask in it when I am lucky enough to be surrounded by it.

In other words, thank you, my sweet, darling daughter, for sleeping late this morning.
 
ss_blog_claim=56a84c4e8749734eb151bee73d0a1821