Friday, January 29, 2010

Oops, I Did It Again!

Yup, I disappeared again, didn't I? Sorry about that, but I have good excuses this time. I think.

Heh.

#1. We lost our tenants that were supposed to be moving into our second floor apartment so we had to scramble around to find new ones. But the good news is, we have a couple coming to look at it this weekend that seems VERY promising. Young, but not too young, with kids around our kids' ages. As far as we can tell not crackheads or alcoholics, and I got along famously with the lady of the house so I could actually end up with a friend living upstairs. We win!

**Fingers crossed.

# 2. I got a job!!!! It's another remote position so I can work from home, and although it's not 100% writing, it's money and money is good! I will be doing email customer service and writing the training manuals for a loyalty shopping company. An old supervisor contacted me about joining his team and in not so many words, I said "Hell yes!" I started training yesterday and it looks like it is going to work out really well. So pretty soon I will be able to stop mooching from the government, which will make me feel pretty damn good.

# 3. I have been reconnecting with lots and lots of old friends and it has been fabulous. I feel so lucky to be surrounded with people from my life from all the way back to elementary school up through high school, college and after, and to be seeing so many of them on a regular basis. For a very long time, I lived in a little bubble of motherhood that I didn't let anyone penetrate and I never allowed myself to break out of, and now I am realizing how much I truly was missing. I thought that there wasn't room in my life for good friendships and that in order to give myself fully to my husband and children, I couldn't have a social life, hobbies or interests outside of them. I was wrong. I am becoming a better mother and wife, I believe, from the enrichment of these amazing people being in my life. And I can finally feel myself coming alive again, finding the love for things I had cast aside, and it's making life brighter and more vivid. And that, my friends, is a true blessing.

# 4. I have been doing quite a bit of work for the relief effort in Haiti, donating money, clothes and supplies, spreading the word, and researching other ways to help. This tragedy seemed to hit me really hard, specifically because I felt like I had done a lot of bitching and moaning about how tough our family has had it recently, and then I was hit with the images of men, women and children living on the streets of Haiti, injured and bleeding, without food or clean water, and I felt like I was just so incredibly lucky. I have always given to charities and donated clothes, shoes and toys year-round to organizations like The Salvation Army and church shelters, and I gave money and donations when Hurricane Katrina hit as well. But I wasn't an online presence during Katrina, didn't have Twitter or Facebook, and I felt this time around like I had the power to do more, and needed to do more. I am not a women of riches, but I am a woman who can reach people, with time on her hands, and I wanted to use that time to get the message out so that people wouldn't turn their heads away. So I tweeted ways to help, posted about clothing and supply drives and gave as much as I could myself. Now I am working with a friend to collect crayons and coloring books for the kids in Haiti who have no school and nothing to keep themselves entertained while they witness all the devastation around them. So, you know, there's that.

I am going to try to get back on a schedule of posting, but I must admit that I feel like I have lost my mojo a little bit. So bear with me, my fellow blogging peeps. I promise I will try to have some good stuff for you to read, but I can't guarantee anything. In the meantime, enjoy this video, my favorite American Idol audition this season so far (P.S. You have to watch to the end to see what he says after the audition in his interview):

 
ss_blog_claim=56a84c4e8749734eb151bee73d0a1821